The Jeff Plumb Blog

Monday, April 17, 2006

Falls Creek Eggstraordinary Egg Toss

For Easter, I took the family on a holiday up to Falls Creek. We met up with our Friends Charles and Bridget from Canberra. The highlight of the trip was the "Eggstraordinary Egg Toss". The idea is to throw a raw egg to your partner and let him catch it without breaking it. Then he throws it back to you. This continues with the distance increases between each throw until there is only one pair with an unbroken egg. Now to make things interesting the winners get a fully paid holiday to Falls Creek including accommodation, ski lessons, ski passes and clothes hire. Not a bad prize at all.

So Charles and I were persuaded by our wives to enter. So we paid the $10 entry fee and received our garbage bags for protection from the flying yolk and lined up to compete. All the under 15's competed first until there was only one pair left. And then it was our turn to compete with all of the oldies (over 15). I was feeling a little nervous but Charles and his steady soft hands managed to see us as the only pair remaining with an unbroken egg after 5 throws, with the last one being flung around 25 metres by Charles right into my safe hands.


So this meant that it was down to me and Charles versus the under 15 twins (who as we found out later, were runners up last year) for the holiday. Now the judge of the competition thought that it was fair to impose a handicap on myself and Charles to even things up. So after each throw, the young guys would have to move back 2 metres and we would have to go back 4 metres. Now as Charles and I are both over 30 and well past our former sporting best, and these young athletes were right in their prime, I think that the handicap should have worked the other way. But none the less, Charles and I pushed on with the competition bravely, without complaint.

For the final, both teams were allowed to select a brand new egg. Charles carefully selected a strong looking egg with no cracks, and the under 15's chose their egg too.


The first few throws went smoothly for both teams but then disaster struck. I hurled the egg 16 metres to Charles who took the catch cleanly only to look down at the egg and notice a hairline crack.


At this stage, I did not know the perilous state of our egg and moved back the 4 metres to attempt the next catch. Charles was left with no option but to give a mighty throw of the damaged egg. He tossed it the 20 metres right into my hands. I took the catch softly but the egg exploded covering my hands in yolk. At the same time, the young athletes took the catch cleanly and the dream was squashed along with egg. The holiday was gone. I did manage to get one last laugh when I shook the hands of the winners covering them in yolk.

However all was not lost, and due to our overwhelming popularity with the crowd, the judge introduced a second place prize - a box of 300 Cadbury Easter Eggs each.

So our wives are now planning a rigorous 12 month training schedule in the hope of winning the holiday next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home